Neighboring the Aegean Sea in the west, Edremit in the north, Gömeç and Ayvalık in the south, Bergama in the southeast, the district was established on the plain consisting of fertile land between Kaz Mountains in the north and Madra Mountain in the east and south east.
The district, which has an average altitude of 10 meters from the sea, has a coastline of 17 kilometers to the Aegean Sea. There are kilometers of fine and clean sandy natural beaches on this coastline.
The fact that it is located on the Balıkesir - İzmir - Çanakkale road junction both facilitates transportation and increases the touristic importance of the district.
Together with Altınoluk, Burhaniye - Ören is called "The world’s oxygen tent". Burhaniye is referred to as the "Beach of Light" in mythology because of the brilliant shine of its beach. It is even rumored that the Goddess Hera came from the Ida Mountains and added beauty to this brilliant beach.
If we travel to the past of Burhaniye, the first known settlement starts with the city called Anahor or Pidasus, near today’s Iskele site. B.C. The city, which was built by the people of the Mysia region for the first time in 1443, remained attached to Adramytteion in Antiquity and was mentioned with Adramytteeion throughout history. The name Adramytteion originates from Adramys, brother of the Lydian King Croesus. Adramys rebuilt the city that was devastated by wars and gave it its own name.