Gömeç, which takes its name from the honeycomb, is famous for its rocks and centuries-old plane trees that resemble the silhouette of the Great Leader Atatürk.
The district is on the İzmir-Çanakkale highway, between Burhaniye and Ayvalık districts. Artur - Güvercin, Martı and Shipbed Bays in Karaağaç Town of the district have been awarded with the Blue Flag, which is the "Seaworthiness Criterion", by the European Environmental Education Foundation.
The oldest known name of Gomec is Passawanda. Its later name is "Kisthene". To the north of the settlement center, on the sea shore, there is Kızçiftliği Höyük, which has been continuously settled since the Early Bronze Age. Here is Prof. Dr. Engin Beksaç has made important investigations. The ceramic material coming out of here, the district’s BC. It tells that it has been in close commercial relations with the Aegean Islands and the Western Aegean Coasts since the processes dating back to 1200 BC.
The district center was established under the name of "Ağaköy" in Balıbahçe, 1 kilometer west of 400-500 years ago; Later, it moved to its present location and the name Emrutabat turned into Armutova in time. Since there is intensive beekeeping in the center, the center is named "Gomec" in terms of honeycomb. The name Gömeç was used as the sub-district center, and the name Armutova was used as the name of the whole district.